"This program has been approved by the Private Training Institutions Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of advanced Education, Skills & Training."
1. Proof of Grade 10 graduation or mature student status
2. Proof of meeting English Language Competency Requirements English 10 (for Applicants whose first language is English) Standardized English language proficiency test score (for Applicants whose first language is not English)
3. The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) -- test must be within the last two years. IBT only: Overall score of 76 with no score lower than 20 in Speaking and Listening and no score lower than 18 in Reading and Writing.
4. International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic or General -- test must be within the last two years: Overall score of 6.0 with a minimum of 6.0 in Speaking and Listening and no score lower than 5.5 in Reading and Writing.
5. Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test (CLBPT) -- test must be within the last year: Listening 7, Speaking 7, Reading 6 and Writing 6. Note: a CLB Report Card from a LINC Program may also be accepted.
6. Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) Overall Score of 60, with no section less than 50.
The Health Care Assistant program is designed to provide students with opportunities to develop the knowledge, skills and approaches necessary to function effectively as front-line care-givers, and respected members of the healthcare team, in community and facility settings. Under the direction and supervision of a health professional, graduates provide person-centred care aimed at promoting and maintaining the physical, emotional, cognitive, and social well-being of clients/residents.
Upon completion of the program, graduates are prepared to work in a variety of practice settings including home support, assisted living, residential/complex care, special care units, other home and community care settings and acute care.
Upon completion of the HCA Program, graduates will be able to:
1. Provide person-centred care and assistance that recognizes and respects the uniqueness of each individual client.
2. Use an informed problem-solving approach to provide care and assistance that promotes the physical, psychological, social, cognitive and spiritual well-being of clients and families.
3. Provide care and assistance for clients experiencing complex health challenges.
4. Provide care and assistance for clients experiencing cognitive and/or mental health challenges.
5. Interact with other members of the health care team in ways that contribute to effective working relationships and the achievement of goals.
6. Communicate clearly, accurately and in sensitive ways with clients and families within a variety of community and facility contexts.
7. Provide personal care and assistance in a safe, competent and organized manner.
8. Recognize and respond to own self-development, learning and health enhancement needs.
9. Perform the care provider role in a reflective, responsible, accountable and professional manner
HCA Hours of Distribution:
Health and Healing: Concepts for Practice
Health 1: Interpersonal Communications
Health 2: Lifestyle and Choices
Health Care Assistant: Introduction to Practice
Healing 1: Caring for Individuals Experiencing Common Health Challenges
Healing 2: Caring for Individuals Experiencing Cognitive or Mental Challenges
Healing 3: Personal Care and Assistance Theory
120 hours (including 78 hours of Lab Practice)
Practice Education Experience: Multi-level/Complex Care Facility
Practice Education Experience: Home Support/ Assisted Living/ Group Homes
Total Program Hours: 745 Hours
Is a Rewarding Career in Healthcare Right for You?
This short questionnaire takes 3 minutes to complete and you’ll get a personalized report. Identify your strengths and social style plus the training and positions you’re best suited for.Get your Healthcare Career Training Readiness Score Now!
Courses may be modified or substituted as required to facilitate success in standardized testing or changes in standardized requirements. Alternate courses may be chosen to replace exempted course requirements based on experience and/or testing results. There is voluntary additional support available with the instructor at $50/hour. Course delivery subject to enrollment and may be altered.
Recognized BC Health Care Assistant Programs: https://www.cachwr.bc.ca/About-the-Registry/List-of-HCA-programs-in-BC.aspx